I Was Born That Way

My food preference changed a lot after I moved to America. I didn't do it deliberately for a geographic or financial reason. How did this happen? I used to be a Western food addict. When I was younger, the biggest joy for me was when my parents brought me to McDonald's to have a big meal once I scored 100 on my final exams, as they promised. The greasy fried chicken wings, the crispy french fries, and the juicy nuggets filled in the best part of my childhood even though I was raised in a well-known gastronomical city that created tons of highly-acclaimed Chinese cuisines.

But, my mother always affirmatively stated that I would appreciate Chinese traditional food one day. How could it be? McDonald's intrigued my curiosity about American food and Western pop culture. I dreamed of snuggling up on a soft couch, eating the fresh baked pizza, and watching the most popular American TV series.

But, when I watched the New Year’s Eve fireworks in Seattle, all what I wanted was to eat a bowl of Chinese rice congee, even though I threw it onto my blacklist a long time ago. How could I have this strong unconscious impulsiveness? I called my mother. Her simple short answer cleared all my confusion, “You are Chinese.” That was absolutely right! I started to contemplate how deep my Chinese heritage was, down to my blood vessels, even though I had been influenced by American culture and American food since I was a kid. I believe no matter how much experience I had, how high the level of education I acquired, and how enjoyable the surrounding environment I lived in, it cannot transform my heritage because I was born that way.

Last year, one of my previous colleagues dropped in on me when he had a business trip in America. This young man, an American-Born-Chinese, impressed me with his fluent Chinese speaking and the way he acted. But, he had just been living in Shanghai for a year. I even thought I was more American than he was. I wondered what had changed him. I asked him about this when we had a dinner at a Szechuan restaurant. “I have never changed. This is who I am. I am Chinese. This is my heritage from my parents.”  The answer came naturally out of his mouth, without any thinking or hesitation. This is what I expected and what I firmly believe. He is American, and Chinese. American culture, American education, English language, and California's amazing beaches did not change his Chinese heritage. He takes off his shoes before entering a house.  He slurps when eating noodles with chopsticks. He likes sharing food and singing karaoke with his Asian friends. His heritage remains, and I believe my heritage will never be changed.

I live in a diverse world that embraces a comprehensive variety of culture, food, and language. All of these things we have are our heritages passed down from our ancestry. We are all shaped by our idiosyncratic heritage. I kiss my Spanish friends’ cheek in greeting. I celebrate Diwali with my Hindu friends. I eat bibimbap with my Korean friends. I enjoy watching a tea performance with my Japanese friends. I still love eating pizza and burgers.

But, I do appreciate my Chinese traditional food as my mother said I would 20 years ago--I’ve even bought a Chinese cook book to learn. My rooted heritage defines who I am. This will be never changed no matter how old I am and wherever I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Quiz

The Green Dress (Short Story)