My Most Awkward and Shortest Meetup Ever

I joined a Professionals meet-up with my friend last year. Over sixty people showed up.The event was well-organized.It offered drinks and delicate snacks. However, my happy hour ended in thirty minutes.I scraped my crushed confidence and quickly fled.

It was my first time to attend an English-speaking local event.I felt insecure and uncomfortable, even though I was not a shy person.The relaxing music, soft lights, and friendly staff soothed my anxiety.But,I was still afraid of talking with native English speakers.I would wait for someone to talk to me rather than initiate a conversation.

Five minutes later,a gracious girl,standing next to me, turned around with her flushed smile."It is a nice meet-up. Is it your first time?" We started chatting. Everything went smoothly. When I learned that her parents immigrated from China, I felt the intense atmosphere was relieved in this intimidating English-speaking environment.I asked her if she was bilingual because of her Chinese parents.I was surprised when she told me she disliked speaking in Chinese."Her parents have to do translations for her when she talks to her Chinese grandparents and other Chinese relatives," was my first thought when I heard of her answer.I wondered that Chinese was really the most difficulty language in the world to learn even for a first-generation Chinese-American.I didn't ask her the reason but I understood and respected her personal choice.I forgot how we ended up in this awkward chatting.

The first conversation was not as successful as I expected.I didn't want to give up though.I paid to meet new people and overcome my inner fear of talking to native English speakers.I cast aside my concerns and walked around to find someone to talk to.

A young man was walking toward me."Hey, how are you? What do you do?" His greeting was simple and straightforward. He smiled in a friendly manner. I thought it was a good start. But, when I said that I was an international student here to learn English, he abruptly walked away and disappeared into the crowds. "Is this a speeding date meet-up?"I was wondering. If it was, that was an impressive way to wipe out candidates from his date-searching list."Or is he drunk? Oh, poor man. The meet-up just started several minutes ago."

A couple of minutes later,I looked around.The young man was talking to another girl wearing a business suit and high heels.At that moment,I was speechless."Now, it's time to go home, and watch Hollywood movies,"I asked my friend to leave,"I think we are in the wrong place." His hoodie from a prestigious university didn't impress me at all.

That was my shortest meet-up ever.I would never know the reason why the Chinese-American girl didn't like speaking Chinese,and why the man left me alone in the middle of the conversation.There is no universal standard to judge their behavior and attitude.Everyone has their own choices in the way they live.But I know what kind of person I want to be and how to embrace this diverse world.I make friends no matter what their education level or their jobs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Quiz

The Green Dress (Short Story)

I Was Born That Way