My Birthday

Today is my second birthday I had in Seattle.

How was my first birthday in a foreign country? My hubby didn't buy me the dream bag from Nordstrom. I didn't have a fancy dinner with my friends. I didn't throw a crazy party to get drunk. What was make my last birthday so memorable?

One year ago today, when I walked into my cubicle, I saw a bag of cheddar chips, two bottles of soda, and a bottle of authentic Mexico hot sauce on my desk. My keyboard was covered by colorful post-it notes, saying “Happy birthday.” That was a big surprise from my supervisor. I had never thought my supervisor would remember my birthday date and give me gifts because I was just a three-month intern. I still keep those post-it notes to remind me those words he said to me, “We like you have an enthusiastic spirit and humble attitude.” 

Today, I got a postcard from Dubrovnik. My friend has been doing solitary backpack traveling for over a year since last September, from North America, to South America, to Europe. I still remember the day when he left, the feeling he expressed was uncertain, slightly fearful, and unconfident. The first postcard I got from him said, “I miss all of my friends in Seattle, I hope I will come back soon.” But, today, he is such a passionate person, carrying his curiosity to know this diverse world through beautiful landscapes, historical sites and people’s life. “I love all places where I went, I love all people who I met and talked. I am ready to see more places in the world I haven’t gone and meet more people I haven’t met,” was written on the postcard I received today.    

I don’t know if I could join him even he invited me several time. But, I definitely know where I should go to pursue my passion with my curious heart. Holding a strong passion motives me to go for it without any hesitation. Having a modest attitude reminds me to keep learning and asking why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Quiz

Chinese Food Quiz 1

The Green Dress (Short Story)