In or Out?

How many people are willing to jump out of their comfort zones? I don't know the answer. But I know I would not have been in Seattle if I had not stepped outside my first comfort zone twelve years ago. When I was younger, I used to go with the flow because I had been programmed by Chinese traditional culture to follow the crowds for a steady life rather than taking any risks. I thought my whole life would be like the majority of people who were tangled with the daily grind and plain life. So, I had followed the defined rules and had gotten on the mundane bus before I graduated from university.

When I got my Master Degree in Law, I had reaped an opportunity to waive the National Graduate Entrance Examination (NGEE) to go to graduate school directly because I was the only one student who had consecutively achieved first-class scholarship in past four years. I had been hesitating for quite a while before I replied to the graduate school. A hint of unhappy and insecure sensation that I could not eradicate immersed into my mind. I didn't want to take this opportunity which was considered as a precious honor because I already had had my dream law school. Meanwhile, I was afraid of failure. The acceptance rate of my dream law school was only 10% in 2004.

My mother told me that I had been empowered professional knowledge and logical thinking to choose my way. I registered the NGEE and applied my dream law school.

However, I failed. The opportunity had already been taken by somebody else as well.

I indulged in a few bitter tears, and quickly started thinking about my future. What could I do, stay in my safe zone to hunt a regular job in my home city as all my friends had done or stick to my dream as an exception? I didn’t want my future was stuck because of my conservative concept and inner fear. I didn’t want to be a nine-to-five person in the rest of my life. The answer had already been in my heart. The condition was I had to cross the boundary of my comfort zone to take challenges.

I got my parents’ robust financial back; and I was encouraged to take my first challenge for pursuing my goal. I moved to the city where my dream university was located to devote myself to prepare the NGEE. I don't want to list how many challenges I had gone through in that year.
But, when I finally got the acceptance letter from my dream law school, the feeling of true happiness spread out to my whole body. I was aware of that consciously moving out my comfort zone to conquer challenges could make me happy. The most significant thing was it opened a new window for me to hone my wit and harness my skills. I acquired the unspeakable sweetness and energy from my first try.

If I hadn’t made my first move in 2004, I wouldn't have had motivation to break out of my comfort zones to explore my potential abilities and discover my inspiration in past twelve years. I guess I would still have taken the mundane bus without any ups and downs. However, I made it and I am in Seattle to take a new adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Quiz

The Green Dress (Short Story)

Chinese Food Quiz 1